On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 09:57, Reg wrote:
> Can XP be loaded up at startup by default rather than Opensuse?
>

> Just to make my question more clear, I am talking about when the computer
> starts and you get to the boot menu where you have to manually choose
> windows, if you don't it will automatically load Opensuse.
>

> Yes I know you are all going to say why would you want to? But I have my
> reasons :-) eg family members who use this computer more than me and they
> use XP.
>
> A related problem is that this particular machine keeps spontaneously
> rebooting itself.
>

> Regards
>
> Reg

In my experience a machine spontaneously rebooting means bad ram.

Run memtest86. This is often available on the boot menus of live cd's and
installation disks.

This program runs a series of test on your ram and reports any errors it
finds.

If you use lilo to boot your pc, here is how you change the default operating
system.

As root open the file /etc/lilo.conf in an editor. You will observe that the
file contains a series of stanzas for each boot option. In each of the
stanzas is a line like;

label="linux"

At the start of the file is a line;

default="linux"

Change the text of the default  to what appears in the label part of the
chosen operating system stanza.

In you case it will probably be;

default="windows"

Save the changes you have made and run the lilo program to write the changes
to the boot sector of your hard disk.

Cheers Ross Drummond