On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 13:43:53 +1300
Philip Charles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have just been on the phone to David Jarman 03 322 9811 (ChCh).  He is a
> Mandriva user who has run into problems with 2007 (2006 was okay).
>
> He has no email at present and not much in the way of Linux skills.  We
> have spent some time on the phone, but this did not achieve anything.  He
> has asked if I can locate someone to look at his system, this is what I
> am doing right now.
>
> It seems that the system will install, but on reboot the gui remains
> blank.
>
> Would someone contact David and look at his system please.

Phil, I've just got off the phone with David.

The problem is definitely to do with his combination of video card and
how the x-server is set up. It would appear the installer is correctly
recognising the card and the monitor but at this distance (New
Plymouth) it's somewhat difficult to 'see' what's happening.

That he was able to run Mandriva 2006 successfully indicates it's not a
hardware problem but that being said, I suspect his choice of monitor
may be contributing to the problem.

He comments that there are a couple of "Fails" as the system boots but
doesn't recall what those messages refer to, I don't think those
failures are critical as the system can be booted to init 3 from
failsafe. I didn't get him to edit /etc/inittab because of
communication difficulties :-)

It would be great if a local user who's familiar with RedHat or
Mandriva could call or pay him a visit (preferable, as I think he might
have a hearing disability).

What I would suggest is that 'usr/sbin/monitor-edid' be run to
determine the monitor capabilities, then use '/usr/sbin/XFdrake' to see
if /etc/X11/xorg.conf' can be correctly set up using that info.

David will be phoning me at around 9.00pm tonight to see if I have
found someone to help him out locally. He lives on Elsmere Rd,
Ladbrooks if that helps.

Cheers

John