Thanks to all,

I built php from source and dropped the config lines in httpd.conf
(from Steve's email) and it all works. I wonder why the APT packages
didn't work for me.

regards,
Rohit.

On 5/20/07, Steve Holdoway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Sun, 20 May 2007 16:08:39 +1200
Rohit Grover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> A list of problems I'm facing:
>
> 1. I discovered 'apt-get --reinstall' from the APT howto and tried
> reinstalling apache2. However, starting httpd with apache2ctl gave me
> the following
>
> (98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80
> Unable to open logs
>
> 'netstat -lt' doesn't show anybody listening on port 80
lsof and ps may help you here...

> What's going on here?
>
> 2. in the mean time, my source-compiled installation of apache2 works fine.
Why?
It's probably running while you're trying to start the precompiled one???

> 3. What is the command which can show a listing of the files installed
> by a package? I've hunted for this, but failed.
dpkg --list

> 4. I have libapache2_mod_php5 installed (using APT). PHP pages still
> get returned (from the source-compiled apache2) as cleartext without
> getting interpreted. The httpd.conf file for the source-compiled
> apache2 doesn't contain any directive which seems relevant to php.
> What am I missing?
look in your httpd.conf / mods-enabled/php5.* for the lines...

  LoadModule php5_module        modules/libphp5.so

  AddType application/x-httpd-php .php

> thanks,
> Rohit.
>

> On 5/20/07, Steve Holdoway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > libapache2-mod-php5
> >
> > Do an apt-cache search libapache2 for a list of all the precompiled modules
for apache. Alternatively, you can build from scratch - not that I recommend it.