Sometimes there are other X-related processes hanging around. Kill 'em
all, saving the one (or more!) gdm processes until last. gdm will
auto-restart (under most/all distros?).

Most of the time, if I can get back to a console, I can get X
restarted without reboot. This is using an intel chipset on my laptop.

I have 3 xorg.conf files. 'no-external' 'clone' and 'xinerama'
I manually link xorg.conf to the correct one.
All pretty hacky really.
And switching from xinerama to a single-screen config can leave the
desktop in a confused state.

Cheers,
Carl.