yuri wrote:
On 22/06/07, Aaron Christensen wrote:
Hi, I am currently in the market for an external dial-up modem that will
work with Linux (Ubuntu Linux in this case), for those that are using or
have used external dial-up modems do you have any recommendations for the type (brand, chipset) that works better than others with Linux. I know that with internal modems Linux has trouble communicating with windows (software) based modems, I don't think this is the case with external modems and I have
found a few on trademe that look promising but I am interested on you
opinions on this matter.  This is going to be used in a rural area which
probably won't be a permanent solution as only 2km away people have ADSL, so
hopefully that will get extended a some point.

There are still some *real* internal modems around. What you need is a
modem with an on board UART chip. That will appear to the OS as a
serial port. The problem started when manufacturers started to leave
out the UART and use the CPU to do the modulating and demodulating
instead.

I used to have a PCI modem that fits the bill but it's on indefinite
loan to a friend right now.

Yuri

Supashed has heaps of old modems .. laptop + cable test ..