On 7/25/07, Nick Rout <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Christopher Sawtell wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I have been assigned the care of a small Ubuntu network.
> All the Linux machines are running Ubuntu Server - the Edgy Eft
> version, and hide behind an IPCop. Problem is that a newly installed
> machine allows access from all others, but no services from the
> outside world.

Sorry I can't make sense of that. "allows access from all others"
doesn't seem to reconcile with "no services from the outside world"

Sorry - I should have said "all others on the local network, but no .. "

> Yes I have set /etc/hosts.allow on the server box to allow access to
> all services and set external access and port forwarding in the IPCop.
> While IPTABLES is installed, when it's run with the -L option flag
> there are no rules listed. ( only the column headings )
>
> So the Q is this: Does Ubuntu have a secret "No outside access"
> setting somewhere?
> If so, I'd be very grateful to be directed to some doco about it.
>
> MTIA.

Which services are you talking about? ssh? sendmail? imap? pop? ftp?
rsync? http?
Basically all.

Have you looked at the services' respective config files?
Http to start with, but I have proven that it is something other than
the http server's config because a connection using a pair of netcat
instances on port 80 fails too.

--
Sincerely etc.
Christopher Sawtell