On 31/07/07, Andrew Errington <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I am considering learning subversion as a possible solution to guard
> > against accidental edits and deletes. Or am I on the wrong track there?
>
> By all accounts it is a Good Thing.

Sure is. I check the entire of /etc into a repository, and keep it
checked in and updated when things change (i.e. package installation,
config changes, etc).

You need to do an import-in-place, which is not directly easy, but
there are FAQs on the subversion site for just that - basically,
create the repository somewhere, create an empty 'etc' directory in
it, then check that out into your real /etc ... then svn add
everything in /etc, and check it in. Job done, without any harmful
permissions-changing export/check out cycle.

-jim