John Carter wrote:

So I wanted to take some work home...

This is, perhaps, the root of the problem.

So scp does well, let me set that up. Open up port 22 pinhole in the

Never use port 22.  Ever.

Note 1. The ip address changes surprisingly often! The telco is doing
way more work than it needs to.

Or you have a lousy line, or your modem is not flash, or, or ...

Note 2. Having kiddies in the house means some usernames have less
good passwords. So I dug and dug through the config to explicitly only
enable access to my own personal username.

Set up another user with the same homedir, UID and GID as yours (make sure it appears AFTER the real one). Make the login name obscure, the password even more obscure and choose a random high numbered port.

Some swine is doing a brute force attack on my sshd

This has been going on for years. It's definitely a `bot, as it can cause a significant jump in traffic (and your bill).

Cheers, Rex