DSE XH5177  Goes well for me.

On Nov 7, 2007 12:45 PM,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am looking to purchase an external hard drive to keep family videos on
> (these
> things fill my personal hard drive and I have no backups).
>
> My main system is Ubuntu Linux. These things seem to have UBS2 or Firewire
> interfaces. Is there anything I need to be aware of or look out for when
> purchasing one primarily to use with Linux?

Use the /dev/disk/by-uuid/ link rather than the /dev/sd<whatever>
device node in fstab.
and say 'users' in the flags column. vis:

/dev/disk/by-uuid/3610-4E6D /mnt/pd     auto            users,noauto
         0 0

This is for a memory stick, but a rotating drive is no different.

--
Sincerely etc.
Christopher Sawtell