> I've just built up a new workstation for myself - AMD 5600+ based

Nice, I'll have it if you don't want it...

> vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
> model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+
> cpu MHz         : 1000.000
> cache size      : 1024 KB
>
> Any idea why I'm seeing this - it's 64 bit gutsy if it makes a difference?

Not quite so gutsy then, is it ;)

Your power management has clocked the CPU down. If you want to see big
numbers, do some crunching. There's s nifty KDE panel applet to show you
the current state when you hover the mouse over it, and it lets you
select a power management scheme too.

As for the cache size, what Linux reports will be accurate. Perhaps it's
1MB per core?

Volker

--
Volker Kuhlmann                 is list0570 with the domain in header
http://volker.dnsalias.net/     Please do not CC list postings to me.