On Wed, January 23, 2008 4:16 pm, Roger Searle wrote:
> aaahh - cool that you can do that!  done.  and still can't change the
> background.  i think i'll just leave it, luckily it's stuck on a nice
> enough colour :-)
>
> it's really not worth having spent the time i have already on it but
> never mind, it has been an interesting exercise anyway.
>
> Cheers,
> Roger

One thing that may be occurring is that another program has hold of your
root window (thats essentially the background). I have seen that before
although not with quite the same symptoms.

ie the desktop background may in fact be "under" some other application.

You haven't played with any of those programs that show a live view of
space/the sky/the moon/your navel have you?

--
Nick Rout