I have ripped a talking book (Roald Dahl, highly recommended for keeping children happy on long car-trips) into MP3 using Rhythmbox, and want to juggle the tags to get a sensible display on my cell-phone.

Rhythmbox reports the titles as "Chapter 1", "Chapter 2", etc., and the artist as "Roald Dahl". Totem agrees. My Sony K750i (cell phone) agrees, and lists all 80 tracks as "Roald - Chapt", "Roald - Chapt", "Roald - Chapt" (useful), but:

$ id3v2 -l *
The Magic Finger 01.mp3: No ID3 tag
The Magic Finger 02.mp3: No ID3 tag
The Magic Finger 03.mp3: No ID3 tag
The Magic Finger 04.mp3: No ID3 tag
The Magic Finger 05.mp3: No ID3 tag
The Magic Finger 06.mp3: No ID3 tag
The Magic Finger 07.mp3: No ID3 tag

$ mp3info *
The Magic Finger 01.mp3 does not have an ID3 1.x tag.
The Magic Finger 02.mp3 does not have an ID3 1.x tag.
The Magic Finger 03.mp3 does not have an ID3 1.x tag.
The Magic Finger 04.mp3 does not have an ID3 1.x tag.
The Magic Finger 05.mp3 does not have an ID3 1.x tag.
The Magic Finger 06.mp3 does not have an ID3 1.x tag.
The Magic Finger 07.mp3 does not have an ID3 1.x tag.

I have also tried id3, id3ed, id3tool, all without luck. The files are CBR, not VBR.

How are the tags being stored in these mp3s? What can I read and manipulate them with (preferably a batch tool, ie. command-line)?

Thanks,
Douglas.

addressee.  It is subject to copyright, is confidential and may be
lost by reason of this transmission.
other act on the email.