Support for .docx, .xlsx, and .pptx was included in OpenOffice starting
with version 3.0

For versions 2.x.x I had some limited success in the past with the addon
issued by Novell for Suse ported to Fedora which I used at the time, and
still using it today. You can find the addon for download here:

http://download.novell.com/index.jsp?product_id=&search=Search&families=3402&version=&date_range=&keywords=&sort_by=&x=35&y=9

A quick google search revealed several guides on how to implement the
odf-converter on several distros.

Here is for Fedora:

http://www.oooninja.com/2008/01/convert-openxml-docx-etc-in-linux-using.html

The comments after the article give some clues as to how to overcome
potential hurdles.

This is a link that may be useful for Slackware users:

http://www.ihav.net/vb/technozone/open-docx-files-openoffice-org-new-linux-user-143982.html

and this one for Ubuntu users:

http://ubuntulinuxhelp.com/how-to-get-docx-working-in-linux/

If you only want to see the files, you can use the viewers provided by
the software vendor available for download from their website and run
under wine.

Of course, best solution is to upgrade your OO to version 3.

HTH,

Adrian