On 02/06/09 Wesley Parish wrote:
 Sorry to be so off-topic, but are there any stepper motor suppliers in
 Christchurch?  I'm wondering if there are any small enough to fit in
a cramped location, yet powerful enough to change tension on a wire
already
 under considerable tension?  And electrically robust enough to handle
regular on-off switching, while using as minimal an amount of current
at as low a
 voltage as possible?

You probably want to drive the tensioner through a worm gear, which
automatically ratchets.

If you do find a supplier of nice stepper motors, please let me know. I
can only find fairly feeble ones from Jaycar that asplode if left
connected to their rated operating voltage.

Vik :v)