Kerry Mayes wrote, On 24/07/09 13:06:
This is probably trivially obvious to you guys but I can't figure it
out.  I created a shared folder (/home/shared) that is owned by a
group (shared).  There are two members of this group.
However, the default permissions when either saves a file is 644 -
meaning the other can read the file but not write to it.
Ideally I'd prefer the default to be 660 (though I'm not actually
worried about the everybody bit).
What is the usual way of setting this up?

Does it create new files as 644 on the local file system too?
If so then your umask settings are probably 0022.

Try umask 0 then create the files again, see if that fixes it. Steve's advise is correct too, but that deals with munging permissions on a samba share.

Since you're using linux shares, what about NFS? At least then you get proper unix permissions and symlinks and all that.

--
Craig Falconer