On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 5:48 PM, Ross Drummond <r...@ashburton.co.nz> wrote:

> On Friday 14 August 2009, Daniel Hill wrote:
> > Kent Fredric wrote:
> > > For minimal pain, don't  unmask the ~ ( testing ) versions of things
> > > during stage 1. You'll find if you do you'll find a fun gcc cyclic
> > > dependency :)  ( that is, don't set  ACCEPT_KEYWORDS=  to "~amd64" or
> > > "~x86" leave them at "amd64" or "x86" )
> > >
> > > Once you get to stage 3 of the build /then/ you /might/ want to switch
> > > on that, but don't do it earlier.
> >
> > I have a friend advise me to do this
> > * start with stage 3, updating all the settings then going "emerge
> > world" gets you the same result as starting
> > * from stage 1
>
> Also if you are new to Gentoo and kernel compilation build your 1st kernel
> with genkernel.
>
> From the man page;
>
> "Genkernel is designed to allow users who are not previously used to
> compiling
> a kernel to use a similar setup to that one that is used on the Gentoo
> LiveCDs
> which auto-detects your hardware."
>
> Cheers Ross Drummond
>
> I myself haven't seen  a good reason to stop using genkernel. I get the
"its only good for newbies" line all the time, but I fail to see how. I
disable the override-my-kernel-configs and always-do-cleaning-things options
and still do make menuconfig  or make oldconfig myself ( after doing zcat
/proc/config.gz > .config ), but genkernel makes the build-everything, do
all the other fun stuff, put it in the right place, update grub fun things
for me.

Most Relevant lines from my /etc/genkernel.conf

#OLDCONFIG="no"
MENUCONFIG="no"
CLEAN="no"
MRPROPER="no"
#ARCH_OVERRIDE="x86_64"
MOUNTBOOT="yes"
# SYMLINK="no"
SAVE_CONFIG="yes"
USECOLOR="yes"
BOOTLOADER="grub"
# CLEAR_CACHE_DIR="yes"
MAKEOPTS="-j3"
# LVM="no"
# EVMS="no"
# DMRAID="no"
BUSYBOX="yes"
# MDADM="no"
# MULTIPATH="no"
# FIRMWARE="no"
DISKLABEL="yes"
LOGLEVEL=5

then all I do after tuning my kernel every update is

genkernel --kernname=MyCurrentMood all

It updates grub.conf for me.

( Warning: there are a few glitches that have occured from time to time with
the awk-based grub.conf updater, it can be picky, so back it up, once you've
gotten it to work once though, it tends to work well every successive time.

default=0
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,4)/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=Gentoo Linux (2.6.30-gentoo-r4)
root (hd0,4)
kernel /kernel-CHT-x86_64-2.6.30-gentoo-r4 root=/dev/sda7 vga=868
video=uvesafb:mtrr=3,ywrap,1440x900...@60 softlevel=offline

the above should be a good starting template. Note the important "=" in the
title segment, and the absense of the "=" in subsequent sections. This is a
little known gotcha about grubs configuration, and the awk script  is far
stricter than grub itself in this case, dying and emitting a blank file if
you do it wrong )

Also I managed to tweak my kernel lots so I  didn't need an initrd anymore,
it was just plain annoying, if you are not so fortunate, use the following
pattern ( alternative sets of kernel flags for example only, they all used
to be required and I got rid of them recently by selective elimination.
Also, the below way to do things will run the genkernel loader which does a
lot of magical loading stuff before jumping into init, I did away with that
too recently for speed reasons, now genkernel is just a kernel builder for
me and doesn't really affect by boot sequence like it does by default )

title=Gentoo Linux
root (hd0,4)
kernel /kernel-pizzaz-x86_64-2.6.30-gentoo-r1 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc
ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/sda7 vga=868
video=uvesafb:mtrr=3,ywrap,1440x900...@60
initrd /initramfs-pizzaz-x86_64-2.6.30-gentoo-r1

)

--
Kent

perl -e  "print substr( \"edrgmaM  SPA nocomil.i...@tfrken\", \$_ * 3, 3 )