On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 14:35:07 Bryce Stenberg wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Can someone please give me a quick pointer to where I stop my machine
> booting to the gui?
>
> I installed Ubuntu server.  Then also installed Ubuntu-desktop to get a
> gui when I want one.
>
> But now I can't find where to tell it not to use the gui until I type
> 'startx' or something along those lines.
>
> Being an older machine and setting it up as a server, I only want to use
> the gui when I don't know how to do something easily from the command
> line.

Got to your terminal and type:
        sudo "gedit /etc/inittab"

This should give you  a blank editor window to work with
Type into it:
        id:3:initdefault

and then save

If it is not blank find the line:
        id:5:initdefault
and change the five to a three.

The part about using the sudo command I'm not so
sure about since I don't use Ubuntu much.
If it doesn't work check the manual using:
        man sudo

--
Quote of the login:
Real Users never use the Help key.