On Fri, January 8, 2010 22:39, Roy Britten wrote:
> 2010/1/9 Hadley Rich <h...@nice.net.nz>:
>
>> http://www.einfo.co.nz/shop/product_info.php?products_id=16925
>> http://www.einfo.co.nz/shop/product_info.php?products_id=16273
>> http://www.einfo.co.nz/shop/product_info.php?products_id=11904
>>

> Thanks! Nice to see it is possible to get (some variant of) Linux
> pre-installed. Would anyone onlist with experience with Benq and/or MSI
> products care to comment on their general Linux-compatibility and/or
> hardware quality?

Can't talk about Benq or MSI, but the MSI Wind had very good reviews.  I
have an Acer Aspire One (model ZG-5).  1Gb RAM, 160GB HDD.  My wife has
one too.  They came with XP, but mine is running Mepis 8.0 these days.

I think everything worked out of the box, but the wireless drivers were
flaky.  This might be fixed with a later Mepis, but I compiled the free
ath5k driver myself and it's all good.

I love this little laptop- my advice is to have a go with the keyboard
before you buy one.  I didn't like the HP or Acer keyboard, plus the Acer
does not have a Synaptics touchpad (which I specifically wanted).

Battery life is about 2 hrs with the small battery.  A bigger one is
available.  I'm usually not far from a power socket, but if you want more
battery life then buy a bigger battery.  The laptop is small and light and
very capable.  I don't use it for games (not interested) but I use it for
web, email, development and OSM mapping.  Actually, anything really.

HTH,