On Mon, 2010-03-01 at 17:27 +1300, Glenn Cogle wrote:
> I want to chroot my sftp users to their respective home directories,
> but apparently this isn't the default behaviour.
>
> My server is debian 3.1, openssh 3.8.1p1 & vsftpd 2.0.3 - not exactly
> cutting edge, but it works.
>
> Apparently (much) later implemetations of OpenSSH (v4.9+) include
> facilities for chrooting sftp & ssh users.
>
> I suppose my choices are
>
> (1) hack existing ssh
> (2) devise some workaround - perhaps using permissions
> (3) upgrade ssh, and probably the OS as requirements dictate
> (4) build a new server with later OS + ssh
> (5) something else I havn't thought of yet
>
> Interested in comments from those who have been here.......
>
> GC
Having been there very recently ( I now have chrooted sftp access
working for virtualmin ), I recommend just compiling up the latest
openssh from source, and using the internal sftp server. I run the
original on a non-standard port, and the latest on port 22, which is
quite easy, as the config files are in a dfferent place if you use
defaults.

It is a bit of a PITA, as the root directory have to be owned by root,
permissions 755, which means that everything has to be located in
(pre-created) subdirectories, which means some work to /etc/skel.

However, once up and running it's something you can just forget.

I would also recommend updating, as etch ( 4.0 ) was end of lifed a week
ago!

hth,

Steve

--