On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 9:28 AM, Glenn Cogle <gco...@gmail.com> wrote:
> A backup isn't a backup unless it can be restored from.

On that subject, because of O'Reilley's current 3-for-2 book deal, I
just refreshed my 11 year old copy of "Unix Backup & Recovery" with
the newer "Backup & Recovery", which covers Unix, Linux, OS X and
Windows. Very highly recommended, an excellent and accessible book.
http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596102463/

It's primarily about open source tools being used for backup
environments, and is pretty close to being an essential read. However,
you can get most of his advice on http://backupcentral.com/

I was flipping through the old book, and out of the front dropped some
printouts :- the complete procedure for installing AMANDA (client and
server) on one of my old employer's systems, and the config files! I
guess in the pre-wiki world (this would have been late 1999) I'd put a
copy of the procedures in the best place to look in an emergency -- in
the Backup & Recovery book!

Now I must remember to check that I have paper dumps of restore data
for other machines ...

-jim