On 25 April 2010 16:47, Phill Coxon <phi...@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
> The old drive is running ext3 so that's not it.
>
> I'm also installing the new drive with ext3 for the time being.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion though.

Yes, I remember you saying that.  But I was pointing out that while
the workaround was for people using ext4, the default for Ubuntu, it
was added to things like dpkg which doesn't care/know about your
filesystem.  I've been testing 10.04 beta2 and saw a huge jump in disk
IO because of the workaround.

So just to be clear, the fix was applied to dpkg, which caused a side
effect of more disk IO regardless of filesystem or hard drive
make/model.

sV