On Wed, 2010-06-23 at 17:15 +1200, chris wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-06-18 at 20:06 +1200, Nick Rout wrote:
> <snip>

> <snip>
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_display_identification_data
>
> After following the suggestions offered, I downloaded -compiled the
> script, which worked and gave me new modes etc.
>
> However, there is no edid information in the xorg.log files.
> Also in the >preferences>monitor gui, it only offers Default monitor,
> and all other options greyed out.
>
> I have after some work obtained the edid information for this monitor, a
> Viewsonic wms wide 22".  I used the viewsonic edid.exe program on the XP
> partition of this box to obtain the edid information. (As an aside, this
> programme will not run under Vista);but I am stuck at this point as to
> how to get it into the system.
>
> Also, just to check there is not a hardware issue, I installed Linux
> mint 10, into am Asus p4, that I have hanging around.  Same result, and
> the same limited resolutions.
>
> Further suggestions more than gratefully appreciated, as my 70 year old
> brain is nearly at its limit.
>
> (Moans, Oh why could I not have stayed with CPM?)
> regards Chris T

I haven't got anything at all in my xorg config ( 10.04 ). I used to,
when 1400x1050 was a weird size, but that was years ago. Do you have a
VX2233wm? If so, that's a native 1920x1080 resolution. As long as you're
talking to it digitally it should just work.

Are you using the proprietary drivers? I must admit to doing so, but I
stick with nVidia these days...

http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_Lucid_Installation_Guide
provides a fair overview of all the available options. It contains the
line

"By default there is no configuration file (xorg.conf) for X anymore, so
X will try to do the right thing."

so it must be offering a simpler solution!

I'd go the propietary fglrx driver route, hopefully just selecting the
ATI accelerated graphics driver via the Restricted Driver Manager.

Good luck (:

Steve

--
Steve Holdoway <st...@greengecko.co.nz>