On Tue, 19 Feb 2002 05:48, Ian wrote:

> I think so...I have a P233 that can't see past the 8GB mark according to
> hardware spec and windows...but under linux it's seeng all 20GB of a
> 20GB drive.  Using it as a file server in the house w/ no troubles.

Fyi, it's because the bios on that motherboard is older and has no EAD
(extended access addressing), as a result, Windows, which utilises the bios
cannot access anything higher. On the other hand, Linux does not use the bios
in any shape or form and consequently has no bios imposed restrictions on
disk sizes (eg).

The only fly in that ointment is that for linux to boot into a >8gig
partition-offset it must use a recent version of lilo, AND, the motherboard
must support EAD for lilo to work. Normally, people are aware of this and
simply keep the boot partiton below the 8gig limit to avoid all gotcha's.

--
http://linux.nf -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]