On February 24, 2002 08:14 am, Ken Moffat wrote:
> > On February 23, 2002 10:15 pm, David Aikema wrote:
> > > the name of ECLiPt Roaster.  Screenshots are available over here:
> > > http://eclipt.uni-klu.ac.at/projects/eroaster/screenshots/
> >
> > I managed to finally wade through the pile of dependencies that any
> > gnome app seems to bring and then I ended up with my cd burning
> > program.  I encourage you all to check it out if you're tired of
> > XCDRoast and don't care much for the alternatives.
> >
> > David Aikema
>
> This program looks excellent!
> Would you mind reporting problems? wierdness?
> thanks.

It was a bit of a pain to get the program installed... I ended up ripping
apart the configure script simply to find out what on earth was missing
dependency wise, and then managed to pull in that in rpm form with a fairly
broad search on my SuSE cds. (This might be more of a distro-specific problem
though).

Project files can be found at http://sourceforge.net/projects/eroaster/ and
http://eclipt.uni-klu.ac.at/.  Documentation is a little bit short, but after
giving it roughly the same treatment that xcdroast's docs suggested for use
by people other than root, I was able to get it to go as a mere mortal.

The program's layout is by far the most logical of all the linux cd burning
programs that I've seen.  About the only thing I'm not sure it can handle is
burning a combination of data and some audio tracks onto a single cd, but
that's not something I'm likely to attempt.

It supports auto conversion of audio files from mp3 and ogg to wav format
(and also normalization if selected in preferences) for burning an audio cd.

I read in a review I found on Google when attempting to relocate this program
that when burning a data cd it allows you to select a greater amount of data
than the cd will hold, and the program will then split it over into several
cds for you.

The program is actually a Python script, which may have an impact perhaps on
a slower system, but it runs at a perfectly fine clip on my machine.

I used this program fairly frequently when I had Mandrake installed, and I've
never really had any problems whatsoever using it.  Just give it a shot; I'm
sure you'll like it.

David Aikema