I'm running KDE 2.2.1 on WS 3.1 and want to add xfce so I can try it.

However, all the reference sto window mangers and the X-windows manuals (I
have the O'Reilly manuals) mention the various x files as in start x,
xinitrc, etc.  However, my inittab starts /etc/rc.d/rc.gui which ends up
running  one of these: /opt/kde2/bin/kdm or /opt/kde/bin or /usr/bin/kdm.
Since the latter two don't exist it runs /opt/kde2/bin/kdm which is a
binary executable.  Does KDE's startup ignore the x files stuff??  The Step
x Step site references on Xinitrc talks about files that don't exist since
it appears to be for KDE1.

What happens after kdm is started and where can I find more docs on how
this starts up.

I want to install and run xfce but not before I have a better understanding
of what is going on so I don't mess things up!

Thanks.
--
Brett I. Holcomb
[EMAIL PROTECTED]