I finally got my gateway system fully assembled, with all its software
running, a few days ago.  Since that time I have noticed one peculiar oddity
that seems to occur when attempting to login to the system via ssh.

If I attempt to login via ssh on the lan interface it takes a long time
(probably around a minute or so) before the prompt for a password appears.

However, if I (from the same machine) ssh to a server at the university I
attend, and then ssh back here, into the gateway machine, the password prompt
shows its face almost immediately.

I haven't really got a clue as to what the source of this problem might be.
It seems to defy any explanation that I have yet come across.

David Aikema