Joel Hammer wrote:

> Suddenly, I am getting shadows on my screen.
> In a xterm window, each line with text has a faint dark band going
> across the entire line.  This also appears in html documents while
> web surfing.
>
> I have played with my monitor settings, but the lines won't go away.
> Question? Is this failing hardware? Is this likely the monitor going
> bad or the video card?
>
> Joel

I had a video card go bad on one of my machines that caused a very
similar problem. Banding and shadowing on every screen. Replacing the
card fixed the problem. I'd try the monitor on a different machine if
possible, see if the problem follows the monitor. If not, I'd say the
card is the problem.
--
Andrew Mathews