On Thu, 7 Mar 2002 18:38:11 -0800 (PST)
begin  Net Llama <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spewed forth:

> I just built 2.4.18 on a HP Omnibook XE2 laptop running Redhat-7.2.
> Everything is working perfectly using the Redhat supplied kernel.
>
> Networking is severely horked using the 2.4.18 kernel that i built (this
> is the first kernel that i've built on this laptop, so i'm not ruling
> out the possibility of my unfamiliarity with the hardware).  Here's an
> assortment of errors that i'm seeing at bootup:
>
> ifup: arping: socket: Address family not supported by protocol

you don't have af_packet, either built-in or as a module (Networking
options)

> ifup: Error, some other host already uses address 127.0.0.1

lo has come up, so can't again.  But is it localhost or did you by chance
give 127.0.0.1 a name other than localhost in your /etc/hosts file (not a
good idea, BTW).

> network: bringing up interface lo: failed
> RTNETLINK answers: Cannot assign requested address
>
> What is even more strange is that the loopback comes up anyway (it
> appears in the output from ifconfig).  I'll also note that support for
> the PCMCIA Xircom RealPort Cardbus Ethernet 10/100+ Modem 56 card no
> longer seems to exist, as pcmcia-cs fails to recognize it, even when i
> manually load the module that supports it.

what does /var/lib/pcmcia/stab say?

> After trolling through messages a bit, I see some references to a
> failure to locate module net-pf-17 when cardmgr tries to support the
> card.  What I don't understand is why its looking for the packet socket
> module, when i have no call for it in modules.conf.

because it might be needed (I noticed arping above)

Yep, you blew this one.

Sure you have the cardbus module the Xircom requires?  Guess we'll find
out when you show us your /var/lib/pcmcia/stab file.

Ciao,

David A. Bandel
                -- Nemesis Racing Team motto
Internet (H323) phone: 206.28.187.30