I tried MPlayer first actually. ./configure didn't get any further than
checking my compiler: gcc2.96. Is it really that bad? I tried it with a
--no-debug option -or something like that- and it bombed. Maybe I'll try
it again and try to find out what went wrong.

One question though. Why replace the libavcodec directory in the MPlayer
directory with another one? Or did I misinterpret something? I hope I made
that clear.

Bill