Jerry McBride wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Mar 2002 23:47:57 +0100 (CET) Zoran <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> > http://www.winamp.com/news.jhtml;$sessionid$IUO0UY3ZMPXO05YAAAARCZI?articleid=9178
> >
> > and this is Sony's site:
> >
> > www.playstation2-linux.com
> >

> It'll be very interesting to see how well the risc chip in the ps2 stacks
> up against the 386 model.

I'd bet very...very well.  We use risc (IBM) and Intel machines where I
work to do finite element stress calculations...some of the solutions
take hours to work on RS/6000's of the 44P line which are running at
IIRC 400 MHz. Really large complex parts can take overnight.

That same calc, running on the same part, on an Intel machine will
_almost always_ take at least 5-15% longer, often it's a bigger
difference than that.

I wondered this as well, I was actually really surprised to see the
brand spanking new Dells getting spanked by RS's over a year old.

BTW, the Intel boxes are 1.7GHz Xeons.
--
Linux SxS Mirror [http://sxs.homeip.net/]