On Thursday 28 March 2002 10:29 am, Net Llama wrote:
> --- Jason Joines <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >      Which would result in better performance?
> >
> > 1.  Swap on partition 1 of ATA 100 drive on ATA 133 controller with
> > OS
> >
> > on partition 2 of same drive.
> >
> > 2.  Swap on only partition of ATA 33 drive on ATA 100 controller
> > with OS
> > on partition 1 of ATA 100 drive on ATA 133 controller.
>
> There's a lot more to consider here than just the location of your
> partitions and the type of controller that the device uses.
>
> For starters, how much physical memory do you have?  What kind of
> physical memory do you have?  What is the box going to be used for?
> There's always a possibility that your swap partition may never be
> used at all, depending on these other factors.  Realistically, if
> you're this concerned about disk performance, you should be using
> SCSI hardware, not IDE.
>
> =====
> Lonni J. Friedman                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

     Mainly I was just curious as to whether the fact that the drive was
on a separate contorller would override the fact that it is a slower
ATA-33 drive.

     I do have that many drives requiring that many controllers.  The
motherboard has 2 ATA-100 controllers and 2 ATA-133/RAID controllers.
In addition, there are two add on ATA-100/RAID cards with four
controllers each.

     The machine is being used to do backups over a couple of 100 Mbit
networks using multiple NICs..  I have a bunch of 80 GB ATA/100 drives
in removable drive carriers.  The two adaptec cards are used to keep 2
four drive raid 5 arrays.  Weekly and Monthly backups are written to
this.  The onboard raid is used for the OS, and daily backups.  It is
configured as a mirrored raid with a small partition for the OS and the
rest for the dailies.  I have 1 GB of DDR RAM.

     We used IDE because it is much less expensive than SCSI and much
better performance than tape.

     I ended up with an extra bay in the case and unused spots on the
controllers so I just thought it might help to throw an extra drive in
dedicated to swap.

Jason Joines