Joel,

Thanks for the hints.  I'm not at home, now, so I can't try this yet.

> I conclude from your letter that the arp tables were
> incomplete and you fixed
> them manually, yes?
> Now, the next thing I would try is tcpdump.
> For example:
> On the linux workstation:
> In one xterm run:
> tcpdump -i eth0 -n
> and in another run:
> ping theotherworkstation
>
> If you have too much garbage with tcpdump, use
> tcpdump -i eth0 -n | grep -v "Expressions to delete"
> Here is what I see when I ping between work stations:
>
> 192.168.0.2 > 192.168.0.6: icmp: echo request
> 192.168.0.6 > 192.168.0.2: icmp: echo reply
> You may see an arp request if the machine has to broadcast to get the
> hardware address of the other machine.
> This should give you an idea of what is going on.
> BTW, how are you trying to ping them, with their ip number or
> their names?
> If by name, do you have a DNS or do you have them listed in
> /etc/hosts?

I've tried pinging by number, by name and by broadcast to see what responds.
The host tables include all machines on this net (there are two others, but
they are off at present).

One other test I plan tonight is to add one of the currently dormant
machines and see if it recognizes either of these two (which may tell me
which one is screwed up).

In Harmony's Way, and In A Chord,

Tom  :-})

Thomas A. Condon