What if the submission agreement covers the liability of copyright
infrongement. Holy cow, that would really be horrible. Will you submit
something? Nah.. you won't take the risk.

Also, I doubt whether these U-professors really know whether an old was
actually an old idea repackaged. They couldn't possibly knew all old
ideas. Seems that it's all about timing. If person A published an
article first, he/she might sue anyone who made simliar article
afterward.

My classmate was acreeditted a PhD (by local authority), but I never
quite knew what his thesis was talking about, let alone judging whether
it's innovative in the field.