Scribbling feverishly on April 06, Net Llama managed to emit:
> --- Kurt Wall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Okay, so I upgraded XFree and now I can't login using XDM (spare me
> > the use KDM/GDM, please). I login without incident, the screen clears
> > as if getting ready to start my session, and then I'm back at the
> > login window. This happens for root and mortal users. I can use startx
> > just
> > fine, as root and as mere mortal.
> >
> > From /var/log/xdm-errors:
> > AUDIT: Sat Apr  6 20:32:44 2002: 587 X: client 2 rejected from local
> > host
> >
> > From $HOME/.xsession-errors:
> > Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
> > Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
> > Error: Can't open display: :0
> >
> > Obviously, it's an authorization problem, but I'm not sure where to
> > look. System is Slackware 8.0 with considerable modifications. X is
> > 4.1.0, kernel is 2.4.18 (although I doubt this matters). I have a
> > newly compiled XFree86 4.2.0 ready to go when I sort this out.
> >
> > Any takers?
>
> Upgraded from which version of X?  I'd say install 4.2.0 anyway.  Why
> waste time troubleshooting a problem with an older version?

4.0.mumble. I've got $1.00 US that says I'll have the same problem
after upgrading to 4.2.0. If I waste time troubleshooting it now,
I'll know how to fix in the future. But, your point is well taken --
there will be plenty of time to fix it after installing 4.2.0.

Kurt
--
You will be awarded the Nobel Peace Prize... posthumously.