On Sunday 07 April 2002 09:49, edj wrote:
> 1.  Checkinstall by default not only creates the rpm, it installs it.  the
> rc file does "--force --nodeps --replacepackages."  I can change that, of
> course, but I can't find an option that would not install at all, but
> simply make the rpm file.  There will be programs for which I don't have
> the necessary libs, or whatever.  Running "rpm -ivh" would tell me that.
> Am I missing something very obvious here?

edit line 1364 of the checkinstall file. Simply change the command to whatever
you want

> 2.  What does checkinstall do that installing an i386 rpm wouldn't?  So I
> tell it that my architecture is "i686" - what does that do, exactly?  Some
> program may demand a lib ">=" to some number; I have a lower one.  How
> will I run that program after checkinstall does its "--force --nodeps --
> replacepackages" bit?  In short, how does checkinstall "conform" the
> program to my system?

If you download a .386.rpm file from the net, it's compiled for a 386 and the
binaries within the rpm have certain library locations/version/etc coded into
it. when you download the source file, compile it yourself, and then let
checkinstall create an rpm it's compiled for your achitecture ("optimized")
uses your library versions and locations.

also, do you know for a fact that the downloaded .386.rpm file is not a
trojan? by downloading the source, you could review the code first, then use
checkinstall.
--
Douglas J Hunley (doug at hunley.homeip.net) - Linux User #174778
Admin: Linux StepByStep - http://www.linux-sxs.org

Windows95 (noun): 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit
patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit
microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company, that can't stand 1 bit of
competition.