I've just finished compiling kde 2.2.2 for a client of mine using the
controversial objprelink switch that everyone talks about but never
comments on.

The short story is, WOW, what a difference it makes. For those, like
myself, that disdain FAT window managers... the use of objprelink will
make KDE 2.2.2 almost like-able. :') KDE 2.2.2 is still as fat as
anything, but using objprelink it's a nifty performer.

I won't say there's a 50% increase in performance, like the objprelink
author mentions on his website... but it dramatically reduces the amount
of time it takes for applications to startup when called for. And so far,
no unusual problems or burps during usage.

In my book, objprelink is worth doing.