On 11 Apr 2002, at 17:57, Net Llama! boldly uttered:

> On Thu, 11 Apr 2002, Philip J. Koenig wrote:
> > Recently I became aware of the "Enlightenment" window manager.  I
> > first got interested after seeing a screenshot of a neat transparency
> > effect which I find very attractive.
>
> That's hardly a unique feature any longer.  Most window managers and/or
> terminals have that now.

OK, thanks for that info.  I haven't explored them much beyond the
default stuff that ships with the installed distro.

> > I was wondering if anyone had experience using it, and what their
>
> Lots of eye candy.  Lots of bloat.  Although KDE seems to have upped the
> ante on bloat these days.

Yep well the eye candy is certainly appealing to some of us, as long
as it doesn't come with a laundry list of problems and issues. :-)
(I'll take stability and performance over eye candy generally
speaking)

> > thoughts are.  Also if other environments provide a similar
> > transparency effect.
>
> Sure.  Konsole, aterm, wterm, Eterm.  You don't need the window manager
> for that.

OK so those all sound like terminal apps.

Therefore I assume at this point the appeal of "Englightenment" goes
beyond transparent terminal windows, to various other aspects of the
UI?  Or are you saying that ie KDE does most of what Enlightenment
does in the visual respect now?

Thanks,

Phil

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium