The problem was in my startkde script.
It was looking for the string "FirstLogin=false" in
$kdehome/share/config/kpersonalizerrc
kdehome was not defined. I uncommented the line
kdehome=$KDEHOME
and all is well.

--
Caldera eWorkstation 3.1, kernel 2.4.9, KDE 2.2.2 from source, Xfree86 4.1.0
  4:00pm  up 14 days, 16:35,  5 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00