Scribbling feverishly on April 18, toylet.linux[¤pª±·N] managed to emit:
> I guess so.
>
> if we ignore his problem, is there such a limit in linux herself that
> was configurable at compile time?

Not in the kernel, with the possible exception of things like the
total number of open files or the maximum value of a UID. But, with
32-bit UIDs available now, you'll have other issues long before you
run out of UIDs. I dare say that's also true even of 16-bit UIDs.

Kurt
--
Do what comes naturally.  Seethe and fume and throw a tantrum.