Doesn't AOL still have the access-through-an-ISP option?  I recall once
upon a time it was possible to for a reduced cost, access AOL's stuff from
the Internet.  I looked into that--probably a couple of years ago--for a
friend who had got hooked on AOL features but was frustrated by not having
a proper web browser, etc.  As I remember, the total cost of AOL and an ISP
was a little more than standard AOL service.

Okay, I just looked--here's their description:

"$14.95 per month "bring-your-own-access " plan providing unlimited access
to thousands of unique AOL features*, including access to the Internet, for
individuals who already have an Internet connection or access through the
work or school environment."

...now why you need their "access to the Internet", when that's how you're
getting to them in the first place?

Anyway, if you can use Netscape, Mozilla, etc., this gets you around the
issue of whether AOL will work with wine.

At 07:59 AM 4/18/02 -0700, you wrote:
>On April 18, 2002 05:11 am, Tim Wunder wrote:
> > Joel Hammer wrote:
> > > Is there a way to get AOL to work on linux without win4lin or vmare?
> >
> > Have you tried the latest WINE?
> > I would suspect there aren't many in the linux community who have tried.
> > This is for a member of your family, I trust, and not for you...
> > Isn't there another way to accomplish what you need to do using "normal"
> > ISP's?
> >
> > Tim
>
>What I do not understand is why would anyone be willing to buy into a company
>bent on monopolizing the internet. Most people on this list are here because
>we grew tired of the "other" monopoly. Just curious.
>
>--
>Ted Ozolins (VE7TVO)
>Westbank, B. C.

Stuart Biggerstaff

Linda Hall Library of Science Engineering & Technology
5109 Cherry St.
Kansas City, MO 64110

Phone:  (816) 926-8748
         (800) 662-1545 x748