On Tue, 23 Apr 2002 10:45:50 -0400
Kurt Wall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hallo, list,
>
> Roger asked about ReiserFS and the absence of a lost+found
> directory. I have an all ReiserFS system at work and none of the
> filesystems have a lost+found directory. This is as of whatever patch
> set was necessary for kernel 2.4.5. I don't *think* Reiser uses a
> lost+found directory, but you could ask on the Reiser lists at
> namesys.com.

I will. Mine is for 2.4.13 (i.e., Caldera 3.1.1). The lost+found directory
is only used by the fsck utility, not the kernel. But, it must exist and
have lots of empty directory entries allocated. I will next check the
reiserfs fsck utility. There is no mention of lost+found in that program's
man pages. Next stop: source. I also see that the mklost+found program only
references ext2. But ext3 has a lost+found as well. So I cannot trust
that info as being complete. It is all up to the fs-specific fsck utility.

(I had a crew claim that their file system was screwy. When they reported
that there was no lost+found, I got concerned. Seems it was a full hard disk.
The KDE editor happily 'saves' empty files without nary a complaint when
the disk is full. And mcopy dumps core with no message the crew cared to
recognize. How odd. I need to check 'disk full' functionality.)

--
| Roger Oberholtzer          |   E-mail:        [EMAIL PROTECTED] |