with iptables, should we need to worry about the problems listed? should
one replace inetd with xinetd?

quoted from from linuxjournal (Mar 2001:

"... xinetd replaces the common inetd lines with bracketed, expanded
syntax. In addition, new possibilities are given for logging and access
control. While inetd allows control for TCP connections using Venema's
tcp_wrappers software (tcpd), you cannot control UDP connections. Also,
it doesn't do well with RPC (portmapper) type services. Additionally,
while you can control the rate of connections using inetd (by appending
a number to the wait or no wait argument, for example, nowait.1 for one
instance per second), you cannot control the maximum number of
instances. This could lead to process table attacks, for example, an
effective denial of service. By using xinetd, we can thwart this."