Keith,
I have no experience with devfs, so i really can't offer any suggestions.
Just wondering why you'r using devfs in the first place, when its really
not 'stable' code?
I've gotten everything you're struggling with working under the
tracditional /dev/ system with mjpegtools, so this is definitely a devfs
issue.