during bootup you should be able to "edit" your bootloaders options, add
"single" to the end of the image and it should allow you to boot for
maintanence.  You will have to umount your root partition and remount it as
read/write.

--

Bill Day

Linux 2.2.20-1tr i586
  5:10am  up 1 day,  4:24,  2 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Bonez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I have a rescue disk which I created when installing Caldera 3.1 from CD
> this moring. It boots up fine. However, later today I ran an rpm, for
> Win4Lin, which apparently altered something with my video modules.
>
> Now, whether I boot from the floppy and choose floppy or hard drive,
> everything seems to load until it comes to 'starting KDE' and then the
> screen goes black, and I see nothing except an occasional flash of the
words
> "modprobe, could not find module".... something to that effect.
>
> How can I with my boot diskette get to a command line mode so that I can
go
> in an investigate what went wrong and why my system won't boot properly?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott

---