On Fri, 17 May 2002, Scott S. Jones D.C. wrote:
> I am installing QT 3.0.3. The question is about environment variables, so
> please, no 'Take the question to the QT folks' comments.
>
> In order for this to be set up and run correctly, I have to set up 4
> variables in my .profile.
>
> After inserting the lines in /home/scott/.profile, and double checking them
> for accuracy, and rebooting my machine, I run $echo $QTDIR and get a reply

Why are you rebooting your box to fix env vars for 1 user??  THe *only*
reason to reboot Linux is to change kernels or change hardware.  You
certainly don't do it to set environmental variables when this works in
the bash shell:
export VAR_NAME="whatever you want"

Alternatively, in the bash shell you can run "source <file>" and it will
update your currently logged in shell with the changes.

> that the variable is in /usr/lib/qt2, however when I made the entry in
> .profile I told it to look in /usr/local/qt instead.
>
> Where else could this be set, causing echo to report the wrong location for
> this variable? What other files would hold this information?

Hard to say since i don't know which shell you're using, or which distro
you're running.  If its bash, ~/.bashrc could be quite useful.