On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 06:34:15PM -0700, Net Llama! wrote:
>Greetings,
>I've got a bit of a problem on my hands.  I've got a laptop with a 4GB
>drive, that currently has about 1.7GB free (less than half).  It has a
>CDROM(not a burner) & floppy drive.  Thus, the only way I can get files
>on or off the HD, is via the floppy or with scp (ssh).
>
>The HD is partitioned so that hda1 is /boot, hda2 is swap, and hda3 is /
>
>What I want to do is backup the entire disk, however since I don't have
>enough free space on the HD, i can't just create one big tarball.
>
>Does anyone know of a way to pipe the output from tar to scp so that i
>could automatically dump the tarball onto a remote box?  I've been
>pooring through the tar & scp man pages and can't find any way of doing
>this.
>
>If anyone has any alternate solutions, i'd be eager to hear them as well.

There are several ways to do this, most have to do with networking unless
you want to play with PCMCIA removable media, FireWire, or other goodies.
Some possibilites, not in order of efficiency, but as I'm thinking of them:

NFS mount a directory on another machine, then use a command like this:
        cd /
        find ./boot ./ -xdev | cpio -pdumv $nfsmounteddir

Use secure copy, scp, but I don't think it has the ability to
restrict the copy to a single device as the ``-xdev'' option to
find allows.

Rsync is an excellent method although it might be a bit slow the first
time, and it might run out of memory at some point.  It does have the
ability to limit transfers to one file system.  It's also better to run
rsync as a server on the remote system rather than use ssh assuming that
you're on a reasonably secure network.  Assuming that you've set
up the server, and have laptop_update defined in /etc/rsyncd.conf
on that system:

        cd /
        rsync -x -var --delete ./ ./boot remotesys::laptop_update

This will transfer only those files that have changed, deleting
anything that's on the server, but not on the laptop.

Bill

``We maintain that the very foundation of our way of life is what we call
free enterprise,'' said Cash McCall, "but when one of our citizens
show enough free enterprise to pile up a little of that profit, we do
our best to make him feel that he ought to be ashamed of himself."
                -- Cameron Hawley