http://www.linux-mag.com/2001-11/laptops_01.html

Just found this. Thought you might be interested.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Raymond [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Saturday, May 25, 2002 1:54 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: What's the best filesystem battery-wise for laptops?

Net Llama! wrote:

> Bob Raymond wrote:
>
>> Net Llama! wrote:
>>
>>> Something else to consider is his kernel, which i really doubt was
>>> optimized for a mobile system, or his CPU.
>>

>> Actually, I downloaded the 2.4.18 sources when they came out and
>> optimized it for P-4.  This is not a mobile P-4 processor, either.
>> He bought the system about a month and a half before the P4-M's came
>> out. I made sure to choose only his hardware in the kernel.  For some
>> reason, whenever the APM does its trick with the screen, X gets
>> frozen as well.  Could that be the current low level of support for
>> the Radeon 7500?  This is the first X release to support it, and the
>> GPU is slightly different from the standard Radeon that has kernel
>> support.
>

> That's quite possible.  Its also possible that apm and/or the kernel
> isn't properly configured for power management.

Maybe SuSE 8.0 fixes the problems.  I don't have all the time in the
world to set his computer up perfectly, just the time to make sure it is
relatively bug free and he can check e-mail, etc.  I have too many of my
own hardware troubles to worry myself with fully optimizing everything
he has.  I'll make sure to recompile the kernel after the installation,
though.  That shouldn't take too long.

>> I don't think WindeXP is about to halve the clock speed or anything
>> of the sort on a desktop P-4, as that is only done in the BIOS.  But
>> it may be screwing with the HD.
>

> I've read that windoze does play tricks with the CPU, so this is
> definitely a possibility.

Only if it has third-party software (usually from AMD or Intel)
installed.  Since the laptop came with no OS, I never bothered to put
Speedstep on when I added WindeXP.  Consequently, my mother's PIII
laptop also does nothing of the sort, even though it came with Windex
ME.  I installed XP for her, Speedstep for ME was incompatible, and she
still has her two hours of battery life without Speedstep.

Thanks,

Bob Raymond