I got my scanner to work.  It required some patience, but not much else.
The SuSE 8.0 software did most of the work.  But I don't understand a
couple of things.

First, on boot up the BIOS recognized the two SCSI hard drives, the SCSI
CD-RW and the SCSI Zip drive just fine (sca, scb, scc & scd), but it
found 16 scanners (sg0-sg15), each with the right SCSI ID (1), but with
LUNs 0-15.  That didn't happen on my old system (Gateway P5 120MHz with
the same SCSI controller card in it).  But with my newer system (Abit
VL6 MB, Celleron 600 MHz) it found all those scanners.

Second, why did the SuSE software find 64 scanners?  When I type dmesg
that is the number of them I find in the log.  Each with a unique
identifier assigned.

As long as I let all of this finding happen without cutting it short it
was easy to select the first scanner in the list and install it.

But I'd like to know *why*!

Any help would be appreciated.

In Harmony's Way and In A Chord,

Tom  ;-})