--- "David A. Bandel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Fri, 07 Jun 2002 15:44:46 +0800
> begin  "m.w.chang" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spewed
> forth:
>

> > I just wondered whether there were brave souls out
> there to try this...
> >
> > I knew there were general ledger systems,
> workgroup solutions, but a
> > full-blown, complicated business application..
> hm....
> >

> Appgen  http://www.appgen.com/
>
> Quasar  http://www.linuxcanada.com/
>
> SQL-Ledger  http://www.sql-ledger.org/
>
> None of these fill the bill?

These look like nice packages but I wouldn't quite
categorize them as MRP systems.

In addition to the standard accounting modules
(payables, receivables, payroll, general ledger, fixed
assets, etc.) and some inventory control modules
(inventory, sales, purchasing, etc.) an MRP system
needs a few more manufacturing modules (work order,
backflush, repetitive scheduling (esp. in the
automotive industry,) capacity planning, production
line planning, shipping, BOM/routings, requirements
planning, business-to-business EDI/Ecommerce etc.)

I think your best bet is to convince a company to
allow their older, obsolete, closed-source systems to
become open-source.  I'm sure there are several
example companies that do this but I can only think of
Sendmail, Inc.  Maybe a few other examples would add a
bit of weight to the request.

"Sendmail is the most successful and most widely used
e-mail system in the world and the reason is, in no
small part, due to the fact that their older versions
are open and free to download."

What other companies can we suggest that have had
similar success?