Net Llama! wrote:

>On Mon, 10 Jun 2002, Bob Raymond wrote:
>

>>Net Llama! wrote:
>>

>>>Ahhh.   Well, keep in mind that the 460 is a serial port camera, where the
>>>380 is USB.  I have no clue about xferring pix from the camera to the PC
>>>via USB, other than mounting it as a SCSI drive.  That would mean that
>>>photopc is no longer needed (or gphoto for that matter).
>>>

>>So is that what one should do with any USB camera?  Excuse me, I'm
>>

>THat's my understanding.  Like i said, my 460 is serial, but from what
>i've read, you should be able to mount any USB storage device as SCSI.

I'm going to do a fresh install of Gentoo 1.2 now that it's been
released.  I made some major mistakes
with it last time, so maybe by the end of the week (when everything gets
downloaded) I might have the cameras
working.

>>totally clueless.  Two cameras that I'd
>>like to connect:  Olympus C4040Z and Fujifilm 6900Z.  Haven't gotten
>>around to trying them yet, but hardware
>>troubles have been more important lately.  Both are my Linux-hating
>>parent's cameras, as well.
>>

>So are they both USB only, or do you have a serial cable for them?

Yes, both USB only.

>>Last time I had my SmartMedia reader plugged in, Gentoo detected it when
>>detecting SCSI drives once, but I
>>couldn't try mounting because no card in device and other more important
>>things to do.
>>

>I think that if you have a smartcard reader, then they are definitely SCSI
>(again, from what i've read).  You should, however, also be able to plug
>the camera directly into the PC with the USB cable, and mount the device.

I was really happy about having the smart media reader detected
partially because that means EHCI's working.
The reader is a USB 2.0 device, but it was given /dev/sda.  Too bad
nothing higher, but I can't afford SCSI
HD's <g>.

Thanks